Everett James - Black President Mixtape






Back in 2008 we were confronted with the idea that there was a possibility that we would elect our first president of color in the history of the United States of America. At that times the concept was as foreign as seeing a space alien. I remember thinking, "we will never have a black president" but when the momentum gained in favor of Barak Obama I couldn't help but become inspired. This energy spawned the Black President Mixtape. 

I dug through hours of footage and countless records to find clips of others who spoke on the concept. Some of the voices you will hear are Fela Kuti, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Nelson Mandela, Malcom X, Martin Luther King. They all spoke and joked about the subject but never imagined that day when they'd live to see it. The composition of these beatdown mixtape was chopped and sequenced (as always) on my vintage Ensoniq ASR-10. It takes me back to how I started making beats when I use to dig through my pops records in the basement. 

In honor of black history month I offer you the opportunity to revisit the Black President Mixtape. 
BEATS BEATS BEATS BEATS BEATS!!!!

I have included a Spotify playlist that takes you through the samples found on the Black President mixtape. Digs include Parlament, Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions, Willie Hutch, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations...